I had recovered from Morgellons Disease symptoms and had moved on. One day within the first year of recovery, I reviewed Kellett’s 1935 article titled “Sir Thomas Browne and the Disease Called The Morgellons” (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/letter/kellett.html) and I began to see patterns in Morgellons Disease, documented in the Late Renaissance of France and Victorian Era England, which suggested mercury exposure. I took an entire summer to research these patterns primarily by sifting through medical libraries in London and archival collections in Montpellier, France. I wrote up my findings and it was accepted for publication in Explore! a peer-reviewed medical journal for professionals. https://www.academia.edu/1645874/Patterns_in_Early_Morgellons_Disease_Considered_as_Effects_of_Mercury_Exposure
In response to my request to share his thoughts on my published research Dr. Amin responded with,
Oct 22, 2008
…your and my writings conflict if you believe that ‘early cases cannot be connected to dental adhesives.’ Your subsequent statement is highly speculative and not supported by facts or my research. Compatibility findings are the only test for the effect of specific toxins (including drugs), on the expression of symptoms, neurological or other. I am glad that you managed to publish the results of your library research, which I supported. This, however, is a far cry from having done the actual work with hundreds of patients over many years of testing. Your ‘theory’ is only as good as the facts that back it up. Well, you asked for my thoughts.”
Dr. Omar M. Amin, Director, Parasitology Center, Inc. (PCI)
Of course, the early cases most certainly weren’t connected to dental adhesives; they did not exist in these historic time frames. As for my theory of Morgellons Disease being a form of mercury poisoning, the number of people represented from approximately 1550- 1776 over the Languedoc area of France would far exceed the number of patients Dr. Amin has worked with- I think the patterns I discovered merits the full attention of the medical world.
Let’s return to the present. After watching the Discovery/ Life show related to my recovery (partial fact/ partial fiction), I decided to contact Dr. Amin to get a better understanding of his take on the role of mercury in developing Morgellons Disease symptoms. Anyhow, I figured I should write and, assuming Dr. Amin now sees these symptoms as connected to mercury, suggest in a kind fashion he simply point sufferers in the direction of someone who specializes in mercury detox.
Here is my letter-
June 16th, 2015
Dear Dr. Amin,
I hope this note finds you well. I had mixed feeling about the final version of the Discovery/ Life Channel's version of my story/ recovery from MD symptoms and wanted to ask about your current understanding. Do you presently understand MD as a form of mercury toxicity? If so, do you have any publications reflecting on this?
As you well know, my research certainly has been directed toward bridging our understanding of MD and mercury; many people with this understanding have asked me for direction. Dr. Chris Shade and his associates at Quicksilver Scientific (https://www.quicksilverscientific.com/ ) have the best understanding of mercurial speciation and internal migration, so I have been directing sufferers in their direction.
Please know I have the greatest of respect for you as a parasitologist, but feel mercury toxicity is complex and should be handled with the greatest of care by those who specialize in it. I hope this makes sense to you.
His response on the same day was-
“Hello Joseph. Thanks for writing and for your kind words. Glad to know that the "thing" aired because we tried to find it everywhere but failed. So I have no idea what transpired. Do you have an account of this program that you can share with us?
I share your opinions re MD and Mercury. However, my research and the examination of over 1000 patients over about 10 years have demonstrated that Morgellons/NCS is basically an allergic reaction to chemical toxins, mostly dental but not exclusively so. Mercury is only one part of the total slue of dental chemical. Yes, I have many publications on the subject but not exclusively on mercury. Please find these if you click on "publications) on our web site and down load to your heart's desire. With best regards.
Dr. Omar M. Amin, Director
Parasitology Center (PCI) and Institute of Parasitic Diseases (IPD)
My reason for sharing these communications are several. First, I would certainly like to thank Dr. Amin for his assistance in the recovery of some who have/had symptoms from the Morgellons Disease Spectrum. He is a very well respected Parasitologist and his work showed- 1) these symptoms are not due to a parasitic infestation and 2) patients may need to have dental work remediated. He should pass his findings on to those who qualify to assist sufferers in detoxification.
Dr. Amin does not qualify to act as a toxicologist. I wish he would write a short piece for the lay audience to assure them that symptoms are not parasitic in nature, but relate to toxicity (he could provide a list of names and contact information for qualified medical professionals). My opinion is he should not be making money off from other people’s suffering.
My clearest reason for writing this piece and sharing my communications with Dr. Amin are to assure sufferers- I DO NOT RECOMMEND VISITING DR. AMIN (sorry about the caps, but I want this to be very clear). Over the years it has been a continual frustration that somehow people think Dr. Amin and I have worked together and are on the same page. Again I thank him for helping me in finding my way along a dangerous health path, but think it is time for him to pass patients on to those who qualify for such work.